history.jpg
shield-logo-01.jpg

1919


Birkenhead School was officially opened on Saturday 1st February 1919 with 74 students on its roll. Main school status was authorised in 1923.




1925


The 'A' Block was completed and this year also marked the severance from Northcote, as Birkenhead was now constituted a separate school district. The school roll was now 275 students.




1928


Fundraising began in 1928 for a dental clinic and in April 1930 the first dental nurse commenced duties.




1935


A kindergarten was started, using one of the school classrooms.





patrol banner.jpg

1940


Auckland Automobile Association School Safety Patrol was formed. The school road patrol system still continues today.




1944


The Education Board granted application for a swimming pool. It was officially opened in 1947 and still stands and is used by the junior school children today.




1944


The first PTA Committee was formed. The PTA System still continues today with dedicated parents giving their time to fundraise and build community within the school.




1946


The Country Library Service was inaugurated.




1946


The school roll was 335 and the first bicycle shed was built.




1950


1.5 acres of play field was laid down in grass. Two pre-fabricated rooms were brought in for the growing roll.





school banner.jpg

1953


Roll 431 - another prefab added.




1956


Two more rooms (part of the old infant block) were built.




1958


Roll 507 - another prefab!




1962


Roll reached 690.




1963


Roll reached 703.




1964


Compulsory school starting age was lowered from 7 years to 6 years.




1969


50th Jubilee celebrations and the opening of the new library.





playground banner.jpg

1953


Roll 431 - another prefab added.




1956


Two more rooms (part of the old infant block) were built.




1958


Roll 507 - another prefab!




1962


Roll reached 690.




1963


Roll reached 703.




1964


Compulsory school starting age was lowered from 7 years to 6 years.




1969


50th Jubilee celebrations and the opening of the new library.





fire banner.jpg

1981


New Chelsea School opened, reducing Birkenhead's roll. A fire in the old administration block caused $800 worth of damage.




1983


The first video equipment arrived at the school.




1989


The Board of Trustees Governance system took over from the School Committee as Tomorrow's Schools was introduced.




1994


75th Anniversary celebrations. School fire almost destroyed one classroom block.





bps old banner.jpg

1995


New School Logo introduced and Whanau group banners were created.




1996


New classrooms, office and reception opened.




1997


Nigel Bioletti appointed as Principal and would remain so until 2018. A new Senior Adventure Playground opens.




1998


Rooms 7, 8, 9 and 17 added to the school. The Lawson Reserve was officially named.





camp night banner.jpg

2000


First Camp at School Night (this event still runs every March).




2005


New school hall opened after a major fundraising effort.




2009


The schools Kapa Haka group began.




2010


National Standards were introduced.




2012


New Junior Playground opened.




2013


New District Community Dental Clinic opens next to the school.





ipad banner.jpg

1940


Auckland Automobile Association School Safety Patrol was formed. The school road patrol system still continues today.




1944


The Education Board granted application for a swimming pool. It was officially opened in 1947 and still stands and is used by the junior school children today.




1944


The first PTA Committee was formed. The PTA System still continues today with dedicated parents giving their time to fundraise and build community within the school.




1946


The Country Library Service was inaugurated.




1946


The school roll was 335 and the first bicycle shed was built.




1950


1.5 acres of play field was laid down in grass. Two pre-fabricated rooms were brought in for the growing roll.